NEOEA committees offer grants, sponsor contests, or present awards to students, individual members, and local associations during the school year. These awards include the:
- Communications Contest: The NEOEA Public Relations Committee is sponsoring a communications contest–honoring printed and/or electronic newsletters. The award recognizes communications distributed directly to members on a regular basis from local affiliates of all types, including Education Support Professionals, DDs, Career Centers, and Higher Education. Winners are recognized at the fall Representative Assembly and in News and Views. The top entries from small, medium, and large associations will receive a monetary award honoring them for their work.
- Community Involvement Grants: Strengthening the relationship between a local school employee union and its community is a key element in building a strong and successful local association. Nothing cements these relationships like working together to benefit others in the community. Participation in community events also offers affiliates the opportunity to enhance their visibility as vital, contributing members of their communities.
- Five Star Awards: Created in 2001 by the Public Relations Committee and the Executive Committee, the Five Star Award honors local affiliates that are leaders in involvement with the Association. To receive the Five-Star Local Award, a local association needs to have fulfilled five of the criteria during the previous school year. Local affiliates meeting these criteria will be recognized at the NEOEA Fall Representative Assembly and in News and Views and receive a monetary award and a press release for distribution to local newspapers. No application is required; awards are granted on the basis of NEOEA and OEA records. Like all NEOEA awards, this award aims to recognize local associations and their leaders for the work they do on behalf of their members.
- Friend of Education: The NEOEA Friend of Education Award recognizes a person and/or organization whose leadership, actions, and support have contributed to the improvement of public education for a broad cross-section of northeastern Ohio.
- Local Participation Grant: NEOEA’s budget provides for a Local Participation Grant to help local affiliates send delegates to the OEA Representative Assemblies. With this grant, NEOEA makes available up to $300 per local affiliate to reimburse the expenses of delegates to the OEA Representative Assemblies. Any local affiliate may apply.
- OEA Fund for Children and Public Education: At the fall Representative Assembly each year, NEOEA’s Legislative Committee recognizes locals that have distinguished themselves by their support of the OEA Fund for Children in Public Education. Locals do not apply for the Political Action Awards; the Legislative Committee bases the awards on reports provided by the Ohio Education Association.
- Positive Image Awards: Positive Image Awards are presented to locals that enhance the image of their members, schools, school districts, or public education in general in the community. Activities that are developed by members, work-related or not, that include the community are eligible for consideration. Submissions are limited to one entry per category (association or individual).
- Public Relations Mini-Grants: NEOEA’s Public Relations Committee budget sets aside $12,500 to provide grants of up to $250 to local associations. Your local association may use one of these grants for a public relations project that will promote a positive image of your association within your community. Grants are awarded based on the public relations benefit to the community and/or the association demonstrated in the application. Please be sure the primary purpose of the funding is to provide exposure for your association outside the school and in the community.
- UniServ Program Grant: NEOEA will provide each UniServ Council with up to $1,200, prorated by number of NEOEA locals. These funds may be used for, but are not limited to, officers’ expenses, programs, program materials, and postage.
Information to help you with the grants process: